Company Name: The United States Geological Survey
Title: Hydrology Intern
Location: Carson City, NV
The United States Geological Survey (USGS), Nevada Water Science Center will soon be filling a Student Trainee
(Hydrology) position at the GS-02 or GS-03 level, with a starting hourly rate between $12.12 and $13.22.
USGS is interested in recruiting a student who will be in their first, second, or third year of college during the Fall 2016 semester. This student will possess a high degree of motivation and will be majoring in a STEM related degree (Science,Technology, Engineering, or Math). This student will have some coursework or experience using Microsoft office with particular experience using Excel and Word and possibly some experience with Powerpoint.
This position will be open to currently eligible students who meet all the requirements of the Internship Program. This paid internship is located at the USGS Nevada Water Science Center, located at 2730 North Deer Run Rd in Carson City, NV. This position is a year round internship
will require student to work full-time during the summer and part-time during the school year.
– Effectively communicate and work with peers, scientists, and managers.
– Spreadsheet software such as excel for data entry and for simple and straightforward calculations.
– Using word processors such as Word, text editors, and email to effectively write and communicate regarding ongoing work duties.
– Working safely in a laboratory setting.
– Working safely in the field while collecting hydrologic data such as streamflow measurements, groundwater levels, and water quality samples.
– Must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a degree (diploma, certificate, etc.) seeking student.
– Enrolled as at least a half-time student (or students who have been accepted for enrollment) in an accredited high
school, technical or vocational school, 2-year or 4-year college or university, graduate or professional school.
– Must have a satisfactory academic record, 2.0 or better cumulative grade point average.
Interested candidates will need to apply on USAJOBS to receive consideration. USAJOBS website: www.usajobs.gov .
USAJOBS announcement is tentatively scheduled to open on June 27, 2016. This vacancy will close at midnight eastern standard time on Friday July 1, 2016.
If you are interested in this position, you may send an e-mail to Kip Allander (email@example.com) and submit the
following information: 1) Name and Contact information including email address and telephone number, 2) degree
major, 3) expected graduation date, and 4) a couple of short paragraphs about your education experience, why you would be good at this job, and why you are interested in this opportunity. This information will be used to notify you of this job opportunity when it becomes available. Please send an email to Kip Allander (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than June 22, 2016 to receive personal notification. This is a courtesy notification only and will not be used as part of your application. In order to receive consideration for the position, applicants MUST apply to the job announcement when it is open in USAJOBS.
Position Type: Paid Internship
Hours per week: Part-time during school year and full-time during breaks
Salary & Benefits:
Starting hourly wage between $12.12 and $13.22.
Benefits: Earned sick and annual leave. Paid holidays for holidays that occur during scheduled work days. Eligible for
What can you do in advance to prepare for this job opening?
– Get familiar with USAJobs. https://www.usajobs.gov
– Create an account on USAJobs website. https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Account
– Use the USAJobs tool to create your profile and resume.
– Post all relevant documents to your USAJobs account, i.e. unofficial transcripts showing current enrollment and/or
transcripts showing degree awarded and veterans’ preference documentation. Please note that you will be disqualified and/or not receive veterans’ preference if documentation is not provided.
– Sign-up for e-mail notifications for USGS job postings using the “save search” function in your USAJobs profile.
– You can learn more about how to apply for Pathways opportunities on USAJobs through an Office of Personnel
– Management video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQzXYVqBmZg&feature=youtu.be
– To learn more about the USGS: www.usgs.gov
The USGS is an equal opportunity employer.
Application Deadline: 7/1/2016
Timestamp: 6/7/2016 11:55