Company Name: Friends of Verde River Greenway
Title: PROGRAM LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITY
Location: Cottonwood, Arizona
“The Verde River is one of the last remaining healthy, perennially flowing rivers left in the arid desert state of Arizona. The Verde River system, including its connected streams, creeks and groundwater resources, supports the economies of rural Verde Valley communities and businesses both as a vital water supply and as a driver of tourism and recreation. Friends of Verde River Greenway is a nonprofit conservation organization that has been working collaboratively at the local level for the past decade to restore and sustain river flows and riparian habitat, while building community connections to the Verde River and its tributaries. The organization has been experiencing significant growth and expansion in the scope of its programs and funding.
Friends is seeking a Program Manager for its Restoring Habitat program. The Program Manager is responsible for implementing the annual programmatic goals and objectives, program planning and budgeting, partnership development, and supervision of program staff involved in riparian restoration activities. The Program Manager is also the point person for the Verde Watershed Restoration Coalition, a multi-stakeholder collaborative partnership that implements river restoration projects throughout the watershed. The ideal candidate will have experience and skill in program management in the nonprofit or government sector, be able to multi-task and manage several complex projects simultaneously, and be able to foster positive collaborative partnerships with key stakeholders in the region.
Friends of Verde River Greenway’s offices are located in Cottonwood, Arizona, a community in the vibrant Verde Valley of central Arizona. Recently honored as one of only twenty National Geographic “geotourism” destinations, the Sedona-Verde Valley is home to spectacular natural resources, friendly small-town communities, and abundant outdoor recreation opportunities. The region boasts a blossoming local wine industry, rich historic cultural resources and heritage, excellent local restaurants, and nationally recognized festivals and events. From the verdant oasis of the Verde River flowing through Clarkdale, Cottonwood and Camp Verde – to the magnificent red rocks of Sedona – the Verde Valley is a special place, offering an extraordinary quality of life.”
“Experienced Candidate should have a minimum of 5 years of applied experience in natural resource management or other environmental science discipline. Candidate must have the ability to manage several projects simultaneously, and be able to advise and assist on river restoration and conservation issues, problems and solutions – including habitat restoration – in the western United States. Must also have demonstrated supervisory and team-building skills. Must be a strong communicator with the ability to speak effectively to diverse groups of rural and community landowners, residents and other stakeholders, both verbally and in writing, about the Restoring Habitat program activities and priorities. Must have strong collaborative skills in working with other nonprofit organizations, local governments, public land managers, and other key stakeholders and audiences involved in Restoring Habitat programmatic work.
Competencies and Personal Characteristics
• Candidate should demonstrate an understanding of the needs, goals, and motivations of critical stakeholder groups, and ability to build relationships and strategic alliances with diverse interest groups on the organization’s issues.
• Must be versed in (or able and willing to learn) issues related to invasive plant management, restoration ecology, and volunteer management. Knowledge of riparian ecology a plus.
• Able to think creatively and strategically; and demonstrate the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid
conclusions from scientific-based information. Must also exhibit independent judgment in the development, implementation and evaluation of plans, procedures and policies.
• Responsible for programatic leadership and supervision of staff and organizational consultants or contractors in the development, implementation and evaluation of short and long range plans and policies and other activities, consistent with annual work plan and overall organizational strategic plan.
• Responsible, with assistance from the ED, for the financial management of the Restoration Program, including assisting in the development and implementation of the annual budget, consistent with the strategic plan and financial policies of the organization relative to fundraising. Education Attainment of an undergraduate degree from an accredited university or college is required – an advanced degree is preferred. Friends is open to a range of educational backgrounds related to environmental studies, biological sciences, or other relevant field. ”
Desired Majors: Geography, Geology, Geophysics, Hydrogeology, Geological Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Mining Engineering
Position Type: Full-time Employment
Hours per week: 40+
Salary & Benefits: N/A
“Applicants should provide the Search Committee a resume or CV,
cover letter, and three professional references by email to Anna Schrenk
at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “Program Manager.”
Applications may also be sent via postal service to:
ATTN: Program Manager Search Committee
Friends of Verde River Greenway
PO Box 2535 Cottonwood, AZ 86326”
Application Deadline: 7/3/2017