Company Name: Carson City Public Works Department
Title: Summer GIS/Asset Management Internship Program 2018
Location: Carson City, NV
Description: Carson City Public Works is made up of several divisions that work together as a team to improve and maintain all facilities for the Consolidated Municipality of Carson City. Carson City Public Works takes pride in its ability to work with the public by providing outstanding customer service. The Public Works Department provides public services by maintaining and improving all public facilities and utilities such as water/wastewater, storm drain systems, and street systems, as well as managing capital projects, supporting the City’s asset management
program, and maintaining geographic information systems (GIS) for Carson City. Carson City Public Works has an available GIS/Asset Management internship position in the Engineering division for the summer of 2018.
- Using GIS software to produce maps, drawings, charts, graphs and related
documents for various City departments.
- Researching computer databases and hard copy files for maps, as-built drawings,
construction drawings, specifications, right-of-ways and easements, technical
data, land descriptions, facility locations, ownership and similar information, and
summarizing such information for project use and support.
- Performing field data collection using GPS hardware and mobile devices, and
setting up equipment to perform asset location and inventory.
- Processing and preparing data files for entry into enterprise geodatabases.
- Attending training meetings and upgrading knowledge of GIS.
- Current enrollment as a student in an accredited college or university program or
vocational training program with an emphasis on geographic information
systems, engineering, planning, geography, computer information systems, or a
closely related field.
• Basic familiarity with concepts and terminology relating to geographic
• Basic familiarity with ArcGIS Desktop and/or Esri GIS products.
Preferred Qualifications: N/A
Desired Majors: Geography, Geological Engineering, Geology, Geophysics, Hydrogeology, Mining Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering
Position Type: Internship
Hours per week: 40
Salary & Benefits: Paid Internship
Please submit the following documents to Matthew Lawton at firstname.lastname@example.org in a PDF format:
• Cover letter (optional)
• Online submittals through the Carson City website will also be required. An
update will be sent out when the positions are officially open online.
Application Deadline: N/A