Company Name: Whitman College
Title: Geology Technician
Location: Walla Walla, WA
The Geology Department at Whitman College seeks a Geology Technician (12-month position) to provide skilled and specialized support to the academic program. Reporting to the Department Chair, the Geology Technician will have responsibility for maintaining the Department’s field, computing, and analytical equipment, vehicle and physical facilities. The Geology Technician will contribute to and support teaching-related field, lab, and classroom activities, train students in the use of analytical equipment and instrumentation, and participate in field trips. Principal accountabilities include:
Geology Department Responsibilities
• Support single-day and multi-day geology field trips.
• Help to organize and maintain map, specimen, and other collections.
• Contribute to teaching-related field-, laboratory, and classroom activities as required, including field trip participation, driving, training students to use analytical equipment, and other tasks.
• Contribute to science and geology outreach activities with local schools or community organizations.
• Work independently and collaboratively to maintain field, computing, and analytical equipment, department’s vehicle, and physical facilities.
• Provide training for students and faculty on department equipment for teaching and research.
• Work with Imaging Specialist to maintain shared SEM and train users (science faculty, research students, outside faculty). Provide training and maintenance for EDS component.
• Maintain accurate files on all technical equipment and associated maintenance contracts.
• Monitor department supplies, perform inventories, make purchases of supplies and equipment.
• Ensure that requests for actions and/or information are satisfied in prompt fashion, including response to important or emergency matters.
• Assist with computer issues and software applications. Maintain Geo Department website.
• Coordinate and at times supervise students working in support of departmental tasks.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in geology or Earth science required. Master’s degree in geology or Earth science, or equivalent work experience, preferred. Familiarity and comfort with computers necessary. Experience with analytical instrumentation is desired.
Preferred Qualifications: “Individuals must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
• “People skills.” Much of the Geo Tech’s time is spent interacting with a range of students, faculty, and staff. Must be able to multitask, have a positive attitude, maintain open lines of communication, and respond to constructive feedback.
• Must be self-directed and organized. Some direction and training will be provided, but most work must be self-initiated.
• Aptitude for mechanical, field, and computing tasks is necessary.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and satisfactorily complete Whitman’s van and trailer certifications.
• Must be physically able to lift large and sometimes heavy equipment items to and from shelves and trailers. Employment physical is required.
• Must have or be willing to acquire working knowledge of Department equipment, instrumentation, and supplies
• Proficient with, and/or able to master new skills using, all departmental office, graphic, and technical software used for teaching and research purposes on Mac, PC and Linux platforms
Unique Working Conditions:
• Field work can occur in remote areas and/or under potentially hazardous conditions. Independent judgment and proactive planning to ensure safety of self and others when working in remote or potentially hazardous conditions is vital.
• Unusual work hours in support of multi-day field trips are sometimes required.”
This position will remain open until filled. Review of applications will begin in Mid-July. Modest relocation assistance is available for this position.
Desired Majors: Geology, Geophysics
Position Type: Full-time Employment
Hours per week: 40
Salary & Benefits: Salary commensurate with experience. Details on Employee Benefits found at https://www.whitman.edu/human-resources/benefits
All application materials must be submitted electronically via the Whitman College HR Web site at: https://whitmanhr.simplehire.com/. Candidates must provide a letter of application addressing qualifications for this position, a resume, and the names of three professional references with current phone numbers and e-mail addresses. Nominations of prospective candidates will be accepted by Nick Bader, Chair of the Department of Geology (firstname.lastname@example.org), who will contact nominees to solicit their candidacy.
Application Deadline: This position will remain open until filled. Review of applications will begin in Mid-July. Modest relocation assistance is available for this position.
Timestamp: june 25 2018